We can all agree that it is important to not only secure good tenants but to also lower vacancy costs to have your property rented as quickly as possible. What most landlords fail to realize is that you need to create a captivating rental listing that is detailed and centered only on points that prospective renters would like to know.
After writing thousands of rental listings over the last three decades, we created a rental listing criterion that will certainly entice more renters for your property.
Let's talk about the 7 things that make a great rental listing.
1. Eye-Catching Headline – A great headline should let them know that the home is exactly what they have been searching for and entice them to click further into the description.
2. Attention-grabbing opening sentences should be rather long and filled with many adjectives that will move readers emotionally. You have 3 seconds to grab the prospective renter's interest.
An example of a blah opening sentence:
"This beautiful two-story home, located in the highly popular Mission Grove area, is ready for you and your family to move in! It has an updated kitchen with granite countertops, a great added feature to the already beautiful kitchen. Not only does the kitchen have granite, the bathrooms feature this as well! You will not want to wait to apply for this one, it'll go FAST!"
The ad above doesn't "move" some with great emotion. Nor does it paint a picture of the home.
Example of a great sentence:
"Luxurious Multi-Level Condo with a chef's design kitchen with elegant quartz and stainless steel appliances, laminate flooring, private oversized side yard, and rooftop deck which is perfect for eating a meal while enjoying the sunset set and amazing views."
The ad above uses adjectives to create emotion in the reader and paint a home picture. This type of ad will rent a home 10x faster than the "blah" ad.
3. You want to concisely illustrate the important aspects of the home as prospective residents know exactly what they are looking for. When creating a detailed description be sure to include value propositions in the advertisement body such as:
- Natural light
- Smart home features *if applicable
- Storage & closets
4. Nearby Amenities – Location is valuable. It is not all tenants want to hear; however, it will help them to determine if it is going to be a good match. Make sure to stress the proximity of your property to locations such as:
- Nearby park
- Walking or biking trails
- Shopping malls/centers
- Unique spaces and businesses
5. "A picture is worth 1000 words" - Now that you have written a stunning ad, it is time to take what you have written and bring it to visual life. A savvy description and photos/videos are essential for a successful listing as one is much less efficient without the other. According to Hubspot, 90% of information transmitted to the brain is visual, and visuals are processed 60,000 times faster than text. Prospective renters will develop their first impressions based on the listing photos. Your cover photo should generally be the exterior of the home or the kitchen as it can say a lot of what the rest of the home will look like. Poor photography will cast the home in a negative light and most likely turn away prospective renters. You should have clear quality photos that are nicely sized with great lighting. Below I have included an example of a good vs poor quality listing photo:
Poor Cover Photo
Great Cover Photo
6. Property Policies – Finalize your ad by disclosing any policies that could be a deal-breaker for a prospective renter such as:
- Rent price
- Deposit Fees
- Lease Term
- Pet policy &/or additional rent fee
- Smoking policy
7. Finally, the call to action – You must not forget to incorporate the rental contact information that way the prospective resident can further inquire. Typically, this section should include a list of steps for viewing the home as well as for instructions on where you can submit requested documentation for applying whether it is preferred via email, scanned, application software, etc.
Example of a so-so ad:
"This beautiful two-story home, located in the highly popular Mission Grove area, is ready for you and your family to move in! It has an updated kitchen with granite countertops, a great added feature to the already beautiful kitchen. Not only does the kitchen have granite, the bathrooms feature this as well! You will not want to wait to apply for this one, it'll go FAST! PLEASE NOTE – this property is managed by Management One only. If you are asked to send money to anyone other than Management One, it is a scam. Before sending money or your personal information to anyone, please contact Management One first to confirm at 951-735-2000."
Example of a stellar ad:
Luxurious Multi-Level Condo with a chef's design kitchen with elegant quartz and lacquer appliances, laminate flooring, private oversized side yard, and rooftop deck which is perfect for eating a meal while enjoying the sunset set and amazing views.
PLEASE NOTE -This property is managed by Management One only. If you are asked to send money to anyone other than Management One at 949-721-6608, it's a scam. Call us FIRST.
Upon entry, you are greeted with an open concept living space with access to a two-door garage with built-in cabinetry. The second floor features the ideal open space concept with a beautiful kitchen, dining area, large living room, and an outdoor balcony. The designer kitchen features quartz countertops, stainless steel appliances, soft-close cabinets and drawers, and a breakfast peninsula that is adjacent to the living room. Retreat to the third floor with laundry room with washer and dryer included and both bedrooms each having ample amount of space that boasts of vaulted ceilings, bathrooms with dual vanities, custom flooring, and quartz countertops. Home includes energy-efficient LED lighting with dimmer switches, a tankless hot water heater, and custom blinds. Direct access up to the exclusive rooftop deck which includes a built-in stainless-steel BBQ, sink and has plenty of room for your entertaining needs. You can enjoy a 10-minute bike ride to the beach. Walking distance to the shops and restaurants in Costa Mesa's Triangle Square. You do not want to miss out on this impeccably handcrafted home that effortlessly melds the charm of the past with today's most desirable features and finishes.
Apply today, this won't last. CALL today at 949-721-6608, to view this gorgeous home at your convenience or e-mail us at email@example.com."
As you can see, a lot goes into writing an emotional ad that draws renters to your property. A quality rental listing is the first step towards finding your dream tenant. A great listing will ensure that your listing is found online, and with the proper information, this will attract interested renters that have determined this property is right for them. Now it's time to draft a stellar listing of your own.
Once you find that quality resident, it's time to screen them…check out our blog on screening residents…